It’s time for bed, and you have someone special on your mind.
Maybe it’s your significant other, or perhaps it’s a friend, parent, or other family member.
Whoever it is, you want to send them a goodnight inspirational message to wish them a peaceful and restorative sleep.
Sure, you could craft your own message, but it’s late, and wouldn’t it be nice to have some beautiful words handy without taxing your tired brain?
We have you covered with 71 peaceful night quotes that provide many options for the different people in your life.
How To Put These Goodnight Quotes to Good Use
Quotes are tiny treasures that can change your outlook, improve your mood, or validate your feelings. But only if you put them to good use.
We hope you don’t stop here after perusing our list. We have some ideas for ways you can use these quotes to make them the gifts that keep giving.
Send a goodnight text. Copy and paste a quote and send it to your special person. Let them know they are on your mind as you both drift off to sleep.
Create a quote jar. Print this list and cut it, so you have a strip of paper for each quote. Fold the papers into small squares and put them in a decorative jar. Give the jar to your loved one to pull out a new quote to read every evening before bed.
Rewrite them in your words. Use them as inspiration for writing your own goodnight quotes or messages. We won’t tell.
Have one framed. Choose the perfect quote for your special person or yourself. Have it written in calligraphy or print it in a unique font. Then frame it to fit on a bedside table.
71 Inspirational Goodnight Quotes for Those You Love
As you read through this list of motivational goodnight quotes, think about someone each quote would be perfect for.
The words might speak to an adverse situation that occurred during their day, and they need some calming reassurance or words of wisdom.
Many quotes reflect a beautiful thought or directive that can inspire them as they fall asleep.
You may even find one that seems written just for you, so jot it down and read it before you go to bed.
1. “As the night gets dark, let your worries fade. Sleep peacefully knowing you’ve done all you can do for today.” ― Roald Dahl
2. “The moon embalms me with her love and she kisses me good night. The nightingale sings her song of love when I take rest in the arms of darkness in the night!” ― Avijeet Das
3. “Let yourself rest and recover tonight. The Sun will rise again tomorrow for you to write a new chapter in your life.”
5. “It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.” ― John Steinbeck
6. “After a day of hard work and dedication, you deserve a beautiful and peaceful night. Let your bright self rest well and be ready to shine again tomorrow.”
7. “True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.” ― William Penn
8. “Now, blessings light on him that first invented sleep! It covers a man all over, thoughts and all, like a cloak; it is meat for the hungry, drink for the thirsty, heat for the cold, and cold for the hot. It is the current coin that purchases all the pleasures of the world cheap, and the balance that sets the king and the shepherd, the fool and the wise man, even.” ― Miguel de Cervantes
9. “Let the night clear away your worries and leave your questions for tomorrow. May a new day show you the answers you are looking for.”
10. “Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.” ― Thomas De Quincey
11. “Night is the wonderful opportunity to take rest, to forgive, to smile, to get ready for all the battles that you have to fight tomorrow.” ― Allen Ginsberg
12. “Goodnight. Sleep awaits those of us who dare to dream.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
13. “Listen to the night sky, the Mockingbird always sing you my lullaby.” ― Jmemo
14. “The time between good night to good morning, all poetries are mentioned by her with his love and their good memories.” ― Vaishal Sheth
15. “May this quiet night of rest replenish your energy, filling your mind with dreams and your body with vitality. Have a good night.”
17. “Love said, “Wake still and think of me,” Sleep, “Close your eyes till break of day,” But Dreams came by and smilingly Gave both to Love and Sleep their way.” ― Sara Teasdale
18. “I love the silent hour of night, for blissful dreams may then arise, Revealing to my charmed sight what may not bless my waking eyes.” ― Anne Brontë
19. “The sky grew darker, painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night.” ― Haruki Murakami
20. “Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
21. “The ones who rest their hearts and souls during the night are braver and wiser during the day.”
22. “Sleep is an investment in the energy you need to be effective tomorrow.” ― Tom Roth
23. “Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow’s a fresh opportunity to make it better.” ― Harry Dean Stanton
24. “Day is over, night has come. Today is gone, what’s done is done. Embrace your dreams, through the night. Tomorrow comes with a whole new light.” ― George Orwell
25. “Night is always darker before the dawn and life is the same, the hard times will pass, everything will get better and the sun will shine brighter than ever.” ― Ernest Hemingway
26. “The night brings an interval to our challenges, troubles and doubts. I hope a good night sleep provides you with the peace, wisdom and strength you need to win your battles tomorrow.”
27. “I close my eyes, then I drift away, into the magic night I softly say. A silent prayer, like dreamers do, then I fall asleep to dream my dreams of you.” ― Roy Orbison
28. “May today be better than yesterday and worse than tomorrow because our life journey can only lead us up and ahead.” ― Antonio Carvalho
29. “The best bridge between despair and hope is a good night’s sleep.” ― E. Joseph Cossman
30. “The peacefulness of the night can bring solace and comfort to your restless heart. Carry the calmness of night to your tomorrow so that you face a new day with wisdom and patience.”
31. “And if tonight my soul may find her peace in sleep, and sink in good oblivion, and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created.” ― D.H. Lawrence
32. “Sleep is the golden chain that binds health and our bodies together.” ― Thomas Dekker
33. “By helping us keep the world in perspective, sleep gives us a chance to refocus on the essence of who we are. And in that place of connection, it is easier for the fears and concerns of the world to drop away.” ― Ariana Huffington
34. “Let her sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte
36. “Finish each day before you begin the next, and interpose a solid wall of sleep between the two.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
37. “Never apologize for burning too brightly or collapsing into yourself every night. That is how galaxies are made.” ― Tyler Kent
38. “Let yourself be embraced by the stillness of the night so that your bright soul turn the dark hours into magical, peaceful harmony that lulls you to sleep. Have a good night.”
39. “Each morning sees some task begun, each evening sees it close; Something attempted, something done, has earned a night’s repose.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
40. “This is the end of the day, but soon there will be a new day.” ― Bernard Williams
41. “Night, the beloved. Night, when words fade and things come alive. When the destructive analysis of day is done, and all that is truly important becomes whole and sound again. When man reassembles his fragmentary self and grows with the calm of a tree.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupery
42. “I hope you fall asleep softly and sleep soundly. Tomorrow, you will surely wake up full of energy and positivity to face a new day.”
43. “Only night can make us whole again.” ― Nick Gordon
44. “Don’t fight with the pillow, but lay down your head. And kick every worriment out of the bed.” ― Edmund Vance Cooke
45. “To all, to each, a fair good-night, and pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.” ― Walter Scott
More Related Articles
46. “Never let the darkness or negativity outside affect your inner self. Just wait until morning comes and the bright light will drown out the darkness.” ― Haruki Murakami
47. “May tonight be full of beautiful dreams that will inspire you to be a better version of yourself tomorrow.”
48. “We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep.” ― William Shakespeare
49. “Good night, then – sleep to gather strength for the morning. For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly on all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.” ― Winston Churchill
50. “May you have a peaceful night and meet a beautiful tomorrow when open your eyes in the morning.”
51. “Sleep can completely change your entire outlook on life. One good night’s sleep can help you realize that you shouldn’t break up with someone, or you are being too hard on your friend, or you actually will win the race or the game or get the job. Sleep helps you win at life.” ― Amy Poehler
52. “A good night’s sleep is always the best way to wake up and go to work.” ― Chanel Iman
53. “I think if you have a good night’s sleep, you can take on the world.” ― Tamsin Egerton
55. “Before you fall asleep every day, say something positive to yourself.” ― Enid Bagnold
56. “O bed! O bed! Delicious bed! That heaven upon earth to the weary head.” ― Thomas Hood, Miss Kilmansegg
57. “Night is purer than day; it is better for thinking and loving and dreaming.” ― Elie Wiesel
58. “The sea will grant each man new hope, and sleep will bring dreams of home.” ― Larry Ferguson
59. “Sleep, rest of things, O pleasing Deity, Peace of the soul, which cares dost crucify, Weary bodies refresh and mollify.” ― Ovid
60. “Before you go to sleep, do not forget to say thanks for everything good that has happened to you in the last 24 hours.” ― Roy Orbison
61. “The longest way must have its close – the gloomiest night will wear on to a morning.” ― Harriet Beecher Stowe
62. “I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.” ― Sarah Williams
63. “We love the night and its quiet; and there is no night that we love so well as that on which the moon is coffined in clouds.” ― Fitz-James O’Brien
64. “The moon will guide you through the night with her brightness, but she will always dwell in the darkness, in order to be seen.” ― Shannon L. Alder
65. “This is the ending. Now not day only shall be beloved, but night too shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear pass away.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien
66. “Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.” ― Margaret Wise Brown
67. “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” ― Homer
69. “My idea of a good night has always been having a lovely meal and a proper conversation.” ― Kirsty Gallacher
70. “I prioritize in life. I like to work, I do TV shows, I do a lot of Iron Man training. I enjoy kicking back on a good night and drinking wine until I go to bed, and having fun with my friends. You just have to make time for it and keep it balanced.” ― Joe Bastianich
71. “Sometimes I’m so tired, I look down at what I’m wearing, and if it’s comfortable enough to sleep in, I don’t even make it into my pajamas. I’m looking down, and I’m like, ‘t-shirt and stretchy pants? Yup, that’s fine. It’s pajama-y, good night’.” ― Rebecca Romijn
Inspiration comes in many forms and for just about any situation. What thoughtful kindness it is to send a loved one off to sleep with positive and motivational words.
Our subconscious is hard at work during sleep. Slipping in some positivity to process during REM is nocturnal nourishment for the soul that your loved ones are sure to appreciate.